Wednesday 31 August 2016

Rhubarb and banana crumble.


Everyone loves a crumble.
Especially the Joiner family.
Although I oft hath wondered whether 'tis merely a vehicle for the custard that doth always accompany this noble dish.



I'm inspired by rhubarb on a regular basis. Phil grows a mass of it down on the Breathe veg patch, and it is delicious cooked to a compote, made into jam, chutney, cakes, tarts, cheesecake, ice-cream ... 
I like it best when fresh ginger joins the party.
But this recipe has banana as the play-mate. It is a happy collision of taste as the banana gets sweeter and gooier as it cooks, and takes the edge off the tartness of the rhubarb, reducing the amount of sugar that is needed.

This pudding is actually verging on healthy!




Here's what I use to serve 8. (Or 5 if you're a Joiner boy)
6-8 sticks rhubarb, cut into roughly 1inch chunks.
4bananas. (I often use bananas that I have frozen in case fresh ones have already been eaten up)
A good squish of honey

Topping
4oz flour
4oz oats
About 5 tablespoons olive oil. I think. I have never actually measured any of these ingredients, but I'm guessing it's about that. 
2tsp vanilla extract
3 tablespoons-ish Demerara sugar. Makes it just that bit more crunchy. A happy thing.
(But I sometimes use dark brown sugar sometimes which tastes a bit toffee-ish)





So pop the fruit in your dish and squeeze honey all over it.

The put the topping ingredients into a bowl and give it a good mix.





I love this method for the crumble top as there is no need for the rubbing in of butter - keeps me from sticky fingers. And it's super-quick to do.

Sprinkle the topping over the fruit.
Spread it out but leave it quite rough, no need to press it down. It crispys up better and crumbles more when served. Pressing it down makes it cook like a biscuit, I find!

Bake for 25 minutes on 180/gas 5



Enjoy.
With gallons of custard, of course.



No comments:

Post a Comment