Wednesday 4 November 2015

Welsh Cakes

There are many slightly differing versions for Welsh cake recipes that I have been sifting through and sampling during my extensive research. Some say the secret is in the lard, others maintain that the only authentic method is to cook 'em on a griddle on the aga. 
Mostly I find they under-do the amount of cinnamon used. 
So here's my version of the best ever Welsh Cake.

I have a very crazy-harp-playing-awesome-Welsh-friend.
(Rachel Bartels, you know who you are ....)
And SHE liked my Welsh cakes.

So did another Welsh bloke who was staying with us recently, and he said they were the best he'd ever tasted! Said they were "Lush" and that he'd "be there now in a minute" for seconds!
High praise indeed.

So armed with my boosted morale I have decided to blog them.

RECIPE
225g self raising flour
85g caster sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp grated nutmeg
½ tsp baking powder
50g butter, cut into small pieces
50g lard, cut into small pieces, plus extra for frying
50g currants
1 egg, beaten
splash milk

Put all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
( I have tried them with gluten free flour. A bit of a scone-like result. Add 1/4tsp xanthan gum. It helps.)

Rub in the lard and the butter. 
(I have tried it with just butter. Not as good.
I have tried it using dairy free spread and lard. It works ok.)

Add the currants.
(Cranberries work too.)

Add the beaten egg and bring together to form a dough. You may need to add just a splash of milk. Not too much though. 



Roll out on a floured surface until the thickness is about pinkie size.
Cut into rounds.

On a med. heat dot a wee bit of lard in a frying pan.
(Butter burned too quick when I tried that. Olive oil just didn't cut it either. Unless you're a veggie, go LARD!)

Place the welsh cakes in the pan and cook for a couple of minutes each side, until they are golden.
This is actually quite tricky. I kept trying to cook them too high and fast, in my impatience to EAT them, but this is a mistake. Take your time, but don't over-cook them if you want the lovely, slightly gooey centre to hang around.

Tip the little beauties into a plate of cinnamon sugar.
That's just caster sugar with cinnamon in it. I keep a box-full on hand for these situations.
But plain caster sugar will be just fine too.
Turn them over so both sides get a dusting of sweetness.

Serve warm for best results.
Eaten cooled is still joyous.


Have a try at making these. They're LUSH.


No comments:

Post a Comment