Thursday 8 October 2015

Ginger and Lemon Cake

As Autumn is gradually making the trees in the valley blush, I've started to crave warm, spiced treats to eat. 
I like to eat really healthily, but if I am going to indulge in a slice of cake, I don't hold back with some kind of calorie phobia. I enjoy each one of them, with a nice pot of Earl Gray tea. Which I am convinced dilutes the calories. Or indeed, neutralises them. So I can munch a slice of something nice every few days with great abandon!

And this is the new star in the Breathe Kitchen.
STICKY GINGER AND LEMON CAKE


I was in persuit of a deep and meaningful ginger hit, and have made this cake using THREE versions of ginger in order to take the Tastebuds on a spice trail that leads you through layers of flavour.



Here's the recipe.
(Attempting to be specific here ... Not my strength. I understand!)


Ingredients

5 pieces preserved stem ginger in syrup, chopped
2 tablespoons ginger syrup (from jar of stem ginger in syrup)
2 heaped teaspoon ground ginger
1 heaped tablespoon grated fresh ginger root
6oz/175g butter 
6 oz/175g golden caster sugar
3 large eggs, 
1 tablespoon molasses/black treacle syrup
8 oz/225g self-raising flour
1 tablespoon ground almonds
2 tablespoons milk

For the filling
3 tablespoons of lemon curd
1small pack of cream cheese
A drizzle of the syrup from the stem ginger jar

For the topping

Juice of 1 lemon
8oz/225g icing sugar

Phew! I did it. Even gave the measurements in old and new money! (Although ounces always taste better in my opinion.)

Pile all the ingredients, minus the stem ginger and the fresh ginger, in  the mixer (or in a big bowl and use an electric hand mixer) and whizz it all up til it's nice and creamy. 

Simples.

Then fold in the ginger.


Bundle it all into a lined and greased deep-ish 9"-ish cake tin.
Or, if you are a silicon user like myself - no need for any of that. Just bung it straight in.

Bake in a pre-heatedoven,  gas mark 3/325c for 40-45 minutes.
Poke it with a skewer. (I don't have one, so I use a knitting needle.)
It should be clean. 
However My daughter and I rather like an undercooked cake, with a gooey liquid bit in the middle. Soooo yummy. Not bake-off worthy though; I'd get into serious trouble!

Anyway. 
When you're happy with the bake, cool it on a wire rack.
Meanwhile scoop the cream cheese into a bowl and glug in some syrup from the stem ginger jar. Give it a mix with a fork.
Do a taste test or two. For no reason. It's just too good not to.

Once the cake is cool, slice it in half around the equator and spread generously with lemon curd.
Then load on the cream cheese.
Put the top layer on.

Mix the lemon juice with the icing sugar to a droopy sort of consistency and squiggle it all over the top of the cake. 

Get the kettle on, make a cup of tea, and serve yourself a slice of this new fiery friend.

Joy will descend. 
Happiness will expand.
 Possibly along with the waistline.  

Have a salad for dinner. 
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment