Thursday 2 June 2016

Beetroot Tarte-Tatin with Wild Garlic and Walnut Dressing

So, when I announced to my lovely husband just what I was planning for supper the other day, he gave me a whole range of 'looks' as if to say 'you've gone too far this time!'. But the proof is in the .... um .... pudding(?) or should I say, tarte-tatin.


I have been inspired by wild garlic for the last few weeks, as it is growing all over my garden and challenging me to use it in as many creative ways as I can. This recipe uses it in a drop-dead-gorgeous dressing to drizzle decadently over the tart, and makes the beetroot simply sing out its flavour.

Do try it. See if you agree with me!

The dressing:
1/3 balsamic vinegar
2/3 extra virgin olive oil. (Also known in my head as 'evoo')
Salt
Coarse ground black pepper
Handful shredded wild garlic leaves
Big handful walnuts, chopped.

Pile it all in jam jar and shake it up like a cocktail.

The Beetroot tarte-tatin


I  packet of ready to roll puff pastry
4or5 raw beetroots peeled and sliced
2cloves garlic, crushed 
I red onion, finely chopped
Dash balsamic
Squeeze of honey
Salt and pepper

In a deep-ish frying pan, pop in a little butter and olive oil then add the onions for a few mins to softe,.
Tip in the sliced beets and the garlic plus the other ingredients and gently cook for about 10minutes.

Meanwhile, pre heat the oven to 200.
Roll out the pastry to a circle that is a bit wider than the pan.
Once the veg is cooked pop the pastry on the top and tuck the edges down like you are tucking into bed. It's quite a lovely moment.

Then transfer the whole thing to the oven and bake for about 15 mins.

Remove from the oven and put an upturned plate on the pie, then flip it over and remove the pan.
You should have a stunning pinky-purple bit of gorgeousness in front of you.
Spoon ove some of the incredible dressing, add some crumbled feta to garnish. Or some of the wild garlic flowers if you have them. Or even a handful of pomegranate seeds & fresh chopped parsley .... Whatever brings excitement to your eyes.

Serve the tarte-tatin with a big green salad and have available extra of the dressing. (Might need a good chunk of french bread to mop up all the juices.)

So, despite my husband's worried looks, he actually ate this without complaint and I believe he secretly enjoyed it too. The guests we had at the table that night LOVED it, so I'm going with their vote!


No comments:

Post a Comment